Not only is positive oral hygiene important for the growth and development of kid’s teeth, but the foods that they consume and the foods you as the parent give to them is also equally as important. As part of good oral hygiene, kids need to be careful of what they eat to ensure healthy growth of teeth. Whilst the foods we eat have an impact on all of us, it especially has an impact on how healthily kid’s teeth grow.
Here, we look at the best and word foods for kid’s teeth. Bad foods can lead to severe tooth decay when sugars and carbohydrates stay on their teeth for a length of time. Without further ado, let’s take a look at the best and worst foods for kid’s teeth.
- Fruit and Vegetables – Fruits and veg in particular which contain high fiber helps to remove and limit any plaque forming on teeth. When saliva forms in the mouth, this creates a barrier against tooth decay. Eat fruits such as apples, bananas and oranges and vegetables including carrots and celery.
- Eggs and Dairy Products – Eggs are not only a good source of protein but also contain essential vitamins that are important minerals for your teeth. These essential vitamins contain calcium which builds the strength in teeth.
- Nuts and Seeds – Many foods contain acidic elements that can cause bacteria on teeth. Nuts and seeds replenish the minerals necessary to your tooth enamel, which protects teeth from acidic particles that damage your teeth.
- Leafy Vegetables Including Broccoli – Green vegetables are proven to have no negative effect on teeth and are full of vitamins that maintain healthy tooth enamel.
- Citrus Fruit – One of the vegetables kids should avoid is citrus fruits. It is highly acidic and will damage tooth enamel. The acid will then degrade teeth slowly and damage your smile.
- Chips and Pasta – Chips and pasta are starchy foods made from white flour that turn to sugars in the body. In turn, this also leads to damaging tooth decay.
- Candy and Sugary Drinks – Carbonated sugary drinks contain more acid and sugar than anything else. The bacteria inside the mouth attempt to break down sugars but acid forms in the process. Enamel will be affected leading to damaging tooth decay. Chewy treats stick to teeth which will again damage enamel.
- Sauces and Syrups – Any dark sauces and syrups can lead to persistent staining causing discoloration on teeth. Drink plenty of water if they’re part of your kid’s diet.
Is your child fearful of the dentist? Why not read here on the preparation tips to limit their anxiety?
The Final Say
Kids should not be put off by any of the bad foods that they consume entirely. As a parent, it is important that you look after your kids’ teeth and provide any tasty treats in moderation. Consider giving treats as a reward when they’ve been good or have performed well at school for the week. Educate your kid on why looking after teeth is important and help them grow a healthy smile.
If your kid is due an appointment check-up, contact us at Simply Dental. Our prime objective is to deliver excellence with longstanding results to help your kid’s smile shine through. Book a check-up here now!